9/11/2010

Vintage Dames pt. 2

I haven't updated this in a while and, honestly, for no reason other than I'm lazy. I started a few posts but then just deleted them because I felt... I don't know... Apathetic? I kind of feel like doing this is really trivial. Oh well, so long as someone watches any of the films I have recommended, I think I'll be happier about this. So, if you watch one, please email me (Kevinopatrick@gmail.com) or let me know in the comments or something.

Without further ado, Audrey Hepburn:

Sabrina (Billy Wilder, 1954)

It was only after I had a conversation with my dad about amazing directors that I learned that this was made by Billy Wilder. Just to give you a perspective of how AMAZING Billy Wilder is, here is his directorial resumé:
-Double Indemnity (1944): I'm going to do a post about this film when I do my Film Noir post.

-Sunset Boulevard (1950)

-The Seven Year Itch (1955)

-Some Like It Hot (1959)

-The Apartment (1960)

The four films in bold above are in the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films of the 20th Century. I just wanted to get that out of the way. If you are looking for some awesome older films to watch, any Billy Wilder film should suit your fancy.

Sabrina is a wonderful romantic comedy about a young mechanics daughter who lives on the estate of the incredibly wealthy Larrabee family. Since she was young, Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Wait Until Dark, and Roman Holiday)) has been in love with the skirt-chaser Thomas Larrabee (William Holden (Sunset Boulevard, Golden Boy, and The Wild Bunch)) but Thomas has always turn a blind eye to her charms. But when Sabrina is sent off to a cooking school in Paris, France, she comes back a changed girl, and even more gorgeous than the day she left.
Also in this film as Thomas' workaholic brother, Linus, is Humphrey Bogart (Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre).

If you're not convinced that this film is amazing based on those three people alone, then... I guess... you'll just have to keep reading. Or something...

Audrey Hepburn is just adorable. Let's be honest. Many believe she is the most attractive woman to ever live (personally, I think Ingrid Bergman gives her a run for her money, but I have friends who will fight me over that. Them be fightin' words!). But her charming personality really just pours out of this character. Match that with the narcissist the Holden plays and the ever wonderful Humphrey Bogart and you have an incredible film. Bogart does an incredible job as the man who knows nothing other than work. He dresses nicely on every occasion and really doesn't know how to live. But leave it to Audrey Hepburn to change that.

★★★★½ - Just watch this. I may not be the best at eloquently getting my thoughts out, but just trust me on this, it's a great film. There was a remake with Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear but if it doesn't have Audrey, there really isn't a point in watching it. She adds such a huge dynamic to this. She's irreplaceable.

































Roll credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment