8/21/2010

Single Mothers, Kids, and Brothers Who Know Nothing About Raising Them!

Well, over the next week or so, I'm going to do reviews about my favorite actors in my favorite roles.
BUT FIRST!!
1) I watched a movie I received from Netflix. I rented it because it has Mark Ruffalo (one of my favorite actors but not my favorite role of his). So here are my thoughts on it:


You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, 2000)

I must say, I love Laura Linney (The Squid and the Whale, Love Actually, The Truman Show) in every role she lands (although, I haven't seen Love Actually. Maybe someday). In this drama/sort-of-comedy, She plays a single mother who's brother is back in town and lends her a helping hand with her son. And boy, did she play the part well.

Laura Linney was incredibly complimented by the always talented Mark Ruffalo (Shutter Island, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Kids Are All Right). My only sub-praise remark about him, though, is that he seems to play this "spaced out somewhat stoned all the time" character in a lot of films. But, he plays it well so I really can't complain.

Rory Caulkin (The Chumscrubber, Mean Creek, Igby Goes Down) is in this too and he definitely has Caulkin blood in him. Just goes straight into the major league and holds his own. He does a pretty remarkable job at playing off of Ruffalo for the majority of the film.

★★★ - Despite the fact that the acting was awesome, this wasn't really much to write home about. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it at all, but I was a little let down. If you happen to remember to add this to your Netflix queue or if you come across it at Blockbuster, sure, why not? Pick it up. No rush though. There are much better Mark Ruffalo films (and hopefully, I will get to write about them soon).


When I was deciding on what to watch afterwards, I remembered another film with similar themes, set in winter, and much bleaker:


Sleepwalking (Bill Maher, 2008)


I came across this when I worked for Blockbuster and I was stocking the New Release shelf. I just looked at the cover and was completely aghast. How did a movie with Nick Stahl go completely past my radar? Why did I not get a memo about this?

If you haven't noticed, I watch films based on allegiances I have, If there is an actor I like, screw the plot, I'll watch it. Sleepwalking not only has impeccable acting, but the character relationships are portrayed with such sincerity. This is my favorite performance of Nick Stahl's (Bully, Sin City, In The Bedroom). I have seen this 3 times now and I don't think I've looked away from the screen once while it was on.

Plus, Dennis Hopper (Speed, Easy Rider, Blue Velvet) is absolutely unforgettable. He is another actor that just seems to have this immense talent, no matter what role he is given. He can do anything.


★★★★★ - Don't pass this up. Incredibly well written, perfectly performed, it is such a gorgeous film that I feel didn't get near enough recognition as it should have. Not only that, Dennis Hopper plays one of my favorite antagonists in this. If you are wondering what to watch next, make this your next film.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to rent Sleepwalking.

    I love Mark Ruffalo. He was so good in The Kids Are Alright and I loved him in 13 Going on 30 :) Laura Linney is so good too. You haven't seen Love Actually?? You definitely should put that in your Netflix queue. It's an explosion of talent and simply a feel good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Downloading it now :)

    But yes, The Kids Are All Right was so awesome. Annette Bening was soooo fantastic.

    ReplyDelete